Reservations are strongly recommended and can be made by calling the Recreation Office at 609-263-1013, Monday through Friday (year-round) and Monday through Sunday (Memorial Day to Labor Day) between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM. Reserved beach wheelchairs may be picked up or returned Monday through Friday (year-round) and Monday through Sunday (Memorial Day to Labor Day) between the hours of 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM at the recreation building located at 4501 Park Road.
The beach patrol has a courtesy chair that the public may use to transport physically disabled individuals to and from the 45th Street Beach during the summer season.
Two forms of valid identification (one if picture ID) must be presented when a chair is picked up.
Please note the following:
1. This public service is free of charge. Donations will go toward repair costs and the purchase of additional chairs.
2. Reserved chairs can only be held overnight if they are secured in a locked garage or shed.
3. Reservations for chairs that are not picked up within 24 hours of the reservation date will be canceled.
4. Beach wheelchairs can only be used on Sea Isle City beaches.
5. Before returning Beach wheelchairs, we ask that the individual responsible for the chair make an effort to rinse or sweep off excess sand from seat cushion, framework, visible spots, etc.
6. The individual signing out the beach wheelchair is responsible for irreparable damage or theft at the replacement cost.
7. The beach wheelchairs are quite large, not foldable, and require a sizable vehicle to transport. Due to safety concerns and likely damage, it is not permissible to transport a beach wheelchair on the roof of a motor vehicle. See Dimensions:
(Small chair - 3ft. 3in. H, 4ft. 5in. L, 3ft. 8in. W)
(Mid chair - 3ft. 5in. H, 4ft. 10in. L, 2ft. 10in. W)
(High chair - 3ft. 5in. H, 4ft. 4in. L, 2ft. 9in. W)
8. Each beach wheelchair must be accompanied by an attendant, 16 years of age or older, capable of maneuvering the chair and push through the sand. They are designed so that they can be used in approximately six inches of water. Attendants must stay with the chair whenever it is in the water.
9. In an effort to provide everybody with the opportunity to use a beach wheelchair, an individual is limited to reserving a chair for a maximum of fourteen consecutive days.
10. Maximum allowable weight for an individual using a chair is 250 pounds.