Beach Warning Flags
During the summer each lifeguard stand will fly a beach warning flag. The color of the flag will indicate surf conditions.
Green - Low Hazard - Calm Conditions, Exercise Caution
Yellow - Medium Hazard - Moderate Surf and or Currents
Red - High Hazard - High surf and or Strong Currents
The Sea Isle City Recreation Department is taking surf chair reservations from Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend until Sunday of Labor Day Weekend at 609-263-1013. The Recreation Department will accept requests for reservations Monday through Friday between the hours of 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM. Reserved beach wheelchairs may be picked-up or returned seven days a week between the hours of 9:15 AM and 11:15 AM or 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM on the 45th Street side of the public school building located at 4501 Park Road. Reservations on weekends can only be made in person during the hours of pick-up and drop-off.
Although the Beach Patrol no longer distributes reserved beach wheelchairs from patrol headquarters, we do distribute daily non-reserved wheelchairs on a first-come-first-served basis. The beach patrol also has a courtesy chair that the public may use to transport physically disabled individuals to and from the 45th Street Beach.
Reservations for beach wheelchairs during the off season should be made with the Public Works Department, Monday through Friday, between the hours of 7:00 AM and 3:00 PM, 609-263-6000, extension 19.
If you are reserving a chair, it is recommended you do so as far in advance as possible, since there are a limited number of chairs available.
This public service is free of charge. Donations will go toward repair costs and the purchase of additional chairs.
An attendant, 16 years of age or older, is required to push these chairs through the sand. They are designed so that they can be used in approximately six inches of water. Attendants must stay with the chair whenever it is in the water.
Please note the following:
1. Two forms of valid identification (one if picture ID) must be presented when a chair is picked up.
2. The beach patrol does not transport chairs. They are quite large, not foldable, and require a sizable vehicle to transport. Due to safety concerns and likely damage, it is not permissible to transport a beach wheelchair on the roof of a motor vehicle.
3. Daily non-reserved chairs may be picked up at 10:00 AM at Beach Patrol Headquarters, 44th Street and the Promenade.
4. Daily non-reserved chairs must be returned by 4:00 PM to Beach Patrol Headsquarters, 44th Street and the Promenade.
5. Surf chairs can only be used on Sea Isle City beaches.
6. The individual signing out the beach wheelchair is responsible for irreparable damage or theft at the replacement cost.
7. Maximum allowable weight for an individual using a chair is 250 pounds.
8. In an effort to provide everybody with the opportunity to use a beach wheelchair, an individual is limited to reserving a chair for a maximum of fourteen consecutive days.