Beach Warning Flags
During the summer each lifeguard stand will fly a beach warning flag. The color of the flag will indicate surf conditions.
Green - Low Hazard - Calm Conditions, Exercise Caution
Yellow - Medium Hazard - Moderate Surf and or Currents
Red - High Hazard - High surf and or Strong Currents
Reservations can be made by calling the Recreation Office at 609-263-1013, Monday to Friday (year round) between the hours of 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM. Reserved beach wheelchairs may be picked up or returned seven days a week between the hours of 9:15 AM and 11:15 AM or 3:00 PM and 5:00 PM at the public school building located at 4501 Park Road. During the summer season, reservations on weekends can only be made in person during the hours of pickup and dropoff.
Although the Beach Patrol no longer distributes reserved beach wheelchairs from patrol headquarters, they do distribute daily non-reserved wheelchairs on a first-come-first-served basis during the summer season. The beach patrol also has a courtesy chair that the public may use to transport physically disabled individuals to and from the 45th Street Beach during the summer season.
If you are reserving a chair, it is recommended you do so as far in advance as possible, since there are a limited number of chairs available.
This public service is free of charge. Donations will go toward repair costs and the purchase of additional chairs.
An attendant, 16 years of age or older, is required to push these chairs through the sand. They are designed so that they can be used in approximately six inches of water. Attendants must stay with the chair whenever it is in the water.
Please note the following:
1. Two forms of valid identification (one if picture ID) must be presented when a chair is picked up.
2. The beach patrol does not transport chairs. They are quite large, not foldable, and require a sizable vehicle to transport. Due to safety concerns and likely damage, it is not permissible to transport a beach wheelchair on the roof of a motor vehicle.
3. Daily non-reserved chairs may be picked up at 10:00 AM at Beach Patrol Headquarters, 44th Street and the Promenade during the summer season.
4. Daily non-reserved chairs must be returned by 4:00 PM to Beach Patrol Headsquarters, 44th Street and the Promenade during the summer season.
5. Beach wheelchairs can only be used on Sea Isle City beaches.
6. The individual signing out the beach wheelchair is responsible for irreparable damage or theft at the replacement cost.
7. Maximum allowable weight for an individual using a chair is 250 pounds.
8. In an effort to provide everybody with the opportunity to use a beach wheelchair, an individual is limited to reserving a chair for a maximum of fourteen consecutive days.